Information for Candidates
Qualification for Municipal Office
Candidates for the offices of Mayor, Councillor or School Board Trustee can begin filing their Nomination Papers at the Office of the Clerk of the Municipality of Greenstone, using the prescribed form (Form 1) beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday January 2, 2014 until 2 p.m. on September 12, 2014.
All persons wishing to be a candidate in the 2014 municipal election must be a qualified elector and must be qualified as of the day he or she is nominated and must remain qualified throughout the election period and, if elected, throughout the term of office.
A person is qualified to be a candidate if he or she,
- is a resident of the Municipality of Greenstone, or an owner or tenant of land in the Municipality of Greenstone, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
- is a Canadian citizen;
- is at least 18 years old on voting day (October 27, 2014); and
- is not prohibited from voting by law
- not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.
A person is entitled to be a candidate for School Board Trustee if he or she meets the above qualifications and resides within the area of jurisdiction of the board and is a supporter of that school board.
The following persons are disqualified from being elected to municipal office:
- any person not eligible to vote in the municipality;
- an employee of a municipality unless he or she takes an unpaid leave of absence before being nominated, and resigns, if elected to the office;
- a judge of any court;
- a member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, a Senator or a member of the House of Commons; or
- an inmate of a penal or correctional institution under sentence of imprisonment.
The nomination must be in the prescribed form and accompanied by the prescribed fee.
The municipal clerk must certify or reject the nomination paper by 4:00 p.m. on Monday September 15, 2014.
Obtain nomination papers from the Clerk of the Municipality or online (CLICK HERE).
- A nomination paper must be filed in person by the candidate or by an agent.
- The nomination paper must have original signatures. The nomination paper may NOT be faxed, mailed or e-mailed. Either the candidate or the agent must bring the completed and signed nomination papers to the office of the clerk. The candidate may be required to show proof of identity and qualifications.
- The prescribed nomination filing fee must be paid at the time of filing the nomination. Payment to the municipality must be made by cash ,certified cheque or money order.
- The nomination filing fee is $200.00 for the office of Head of Council; and $100.00 for all other offices.
A candidate is entitled to a refund of the filing fee if he or she:
- is elected;
- receives more than two percent (2%) of the votes cast for the office; or
- withdraws the nomination before nomination day.
Withdrawal of Candidacy
If a candidate decides to withdraw from the election, he or she must notify the Clerk in writing no later than 2:00 p.m. on nomination day (Friday September 12, 2014).
A candidate who withdraws before nomination day is entitled to a refund of the nomination filing fee. A candidate who withdraws is still required to submit a completed financial disclosure covering all financial transactions made up to the date the nomination was withdrawn.