GUIDE TO YOUR PROPERTY TAX BILL
Property Taxes are billed twice per year. The Interim Bill is issued in February (calculated at 50% of previous year taxes) and the Final Bill is issued in July. Both are due in four installments, and penalty/interest is 1.25% per month on any unpaid balance.
2017 Interim Tax Bill Due Dates
|FIRST INSTALLMENT:||FEB 28|
|SECOND INSTALLMENT:||MARCH 31|
|THIRD INSTALLMENT:||APRIL 28|
|FOURTH INSTALLMENT:||MAY 31|
To Avoid Penalty
All payments, including those by mail, must be received by the due dates.
If You Don’t Have Your Bill For Any Reason
Contact the Tax Department at (807) 854-1100 to obtain a copy. The original tax bill is sent to the owner(s) at the last known address. Where payment is not made because the bill was not received, penalties will not be cancelled. Please ensure that you inform the tax department of any address changes.
Supplementary Tax Bills
If your property includes new construction or is modified, a Supplementary Tax Bill will be issued when the assessment information is received.
IMPORTANT DEADLINES FOR ADJUSTMENTS OR REBATES
February 28, 2017
- deadline to submit a tax adjustment application (available at any ward office) for 2016 taxes. The Municipal Act, 2001 provides for tax adjustments to be considered for property changes such as ownership to an exempt body, building razed by fire or demolished, removal of a mobile home, or clerical errors.
- deadline to apply for a 2016 property tax vacancy rebate for commercial or industrial properties or a portion thereof that have been vacant for a minimum 90 day period. Application forms are available at any ward office, or by following this link.
- deadline to apply for a 2016 property tax rebate for registered charities & not-for-profit organizations occupying commercial property.
Property Tax Payment Options
Taxes are payable in Canadian Funds to The Municipality of Greenstone.
- In Person: At any ward office. Pay by Cash, Cheque, Interac, Visa or Mastercard.
- By Mail: Mail your cheque to - The Municipality of Greenstone, Tax Department, P.O. Box 70, Geraldton, ON P0T 1M0.
- At the Bank: Payment can be made at the following banks – TD Canada Trust, RBC, CIBC, Scotiabank, or the Longlac/Hearst Caisse Populaire .
- Internet / Telephone Banking: Contact your financial institution for information.
- Pre-Authorized Debit: Monthly or 'By Installment' Plans are available. Enroll by completing a
pre-authorized debit form (English) (French).
Assessment Rolls – Public Records
The Assessment Roll Book is available to the public, and contains property ownership and assessment information. The book is updated annually, and is provided to the tax department by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). For information regarding assessment/re-assessment, please visit the MPAC website at www.mpac.ca or call them at 1-866-296-MPAC (6722).
Other Property Tax Information