What is an Official Plan?
An Official Plan is a policy document that is adopted by Council through the passage of a by-law, which has to be approved by the Ontario Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
It is prepared with input from the residents of Greenstone and helps to ensure that all future growth and development that takes place will meet the specific needs of the Municipality.
An Official Plan deals mainly with issues such as:
- where new housing, industry, offices and shops will be located
- what services like roads, landfills, and sewers, will be needed
- when, and in what order, what parts of Greenstone will grow e.g. cottage lot development
- community improvement initiatives.
Does Greenstone have an Official Plan now?
When, the Municipality of Greenstone was amalgamated in January 1, 2001, it was governed by the Official Plans of the four former municipalities.
On July 26, 2004, By-law 04-23, being a bylaw to adopt the Official Plan of the Municipality of Greenstone and repeal the Official Plans of the former Township of Beardmore, the former Town of Geraldton, the former Town of Longlac and the former Township of Nakina, and all amendments thereto, was approved by Council. The Official Plan was then submitted to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing for review and to make a decision to either approve, approve as modified, or refuse to approve all or parts of the Official Plan. The Province makes sure that comments, concerns or suggestions from anyone interested in the plan are considered. This means consultation with other parties, ministries, local authorities and with members of Council and municipal staff.
Once a Municipality of Greenstone Official Plan is in effect, it guides all of the Municipality's planning decisions. It means that:
- Council and municipal staff must follow the Plan
- all new services, e.g. sewer or landfills, must conform to the Plan
- all by-laws, including zoning and related by-laws, must conform with the Official Plan.
Official Plan Schedules (Maps-June 2010)
* Schedule A: Beardmore , MacDiarmid, Orient Bay, Tansleyville and surrounding Townships
* Schedule B: Jellicoe and surrounding Townships
* Schedule C: Longlac, Caramat and surrounding Townships
* Schedule D: Nakina
* Schedule E: MacLeod Townsite, Geraldton North, Little Longlac & Rosedale Point, Hardrock and Geraldton
*Please note that these maps are quite large in size and may take a few moments to download. Hard (paper) copies of these maps are available for viewing at the Greenstone Administration Office.
Request More Information